Wednesday, February 10, 2016

A Study


I've always loved "The Old King" by Georges Rouault, and thought, why not combine some Kandinsky energy with it? So I experimented with layering both styles on a sheet of watercolour paper. I used a bit of black conté for the sketching of the King, then painted over top with acrylics.


The Old King layer. Nice attempt, I must say...and a bit too clean looking. :)


I then taped over certain areas to mask them, and added some paint and marks.

Found a Kandinsky painting that I like. This one is "Composition IV" from 1911.


Added the Kandinsky marks here and there and removed the tape. Voila! A layering of two different artists...Leah style. ;)  

When I removed the tape, it ripped a little bit...and I really loved the effect of that and added a clear glaze over the rips to shine them up and hold the paper down. It all needed some bright white anyway! The rips also add a collage effect. 

A fun study... I came up with the layering idea out of the blue, and must say I'll be trying it again!

Happy painting,

Leah xo


4 comments:

  1. Oh this makes me happy to see your creativity unfolding here. Thank you for sharing this Leah!
    xo
    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fun! Thanks for sharing your creative process Leah! This was really inspiring. I hope you keep this blog going!
    -Nathyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nathyn. :) I got the creative fever...and plan to keep going!

      Delete